Ronnie James Dio Loses Battle With Cancer This Morning ~ BrooklynRocks: NYC Music Blog

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Ronnie James Dio Loses Battle With Cancer This Morning

Ronnie James Dio Loses Battle With CancerAfter a long weekend, I wasn't planning on posting anything tonight but Dio's music has been an important part of my life for the last 30 years. Evidently Dio lost his battle with stomach cancer this morning.

My heart goes out to Wendy Dio tonight; I don't think there are many people in the industry who weren't touched by Dio and/or his music. Rainbow was my first concert and gave me the reason to pick up a guitar (as I couldn't sing).

Ronnie James Dio Loses Battle to Stamach CancerI've had the opportunity to talk with Ronnie a number of times over the years and, the last time, I was so impressed that he took the time to talk with my teenager who was only vaguely aware of who Rainbow, Black Sabbath or Dio is. Here is a picture of Ronnie "goofing" as he watched me trying to take some photos after being moved through the autograph line at Vintage Vinyl.

RIP my friend - You were one of a kind!

Links:
Dio