On Friday, October 18th, The Locals are playing at 9PM at Gussy’s in Astoria (20-14 29 Street, Astoria, Queens, Last Stop on the N/Q Train Line (Ditmas Blvd), 2 Blocks - Walk North). Cover is $10 and the other bands on the bill are Usurp The King (8PM), Suburban Decay (10PM), Apolline (From France - 11PM) and Wrath of KillenStein (11:50PM).
On Saturday, October 19th, The Locals are playing an 11PM set at Desmond's Tavern (433 Park Avenue South). Other bands playing this night are: 8PM - Paper Apes, 9PM - Bluesy Dan Band, 10PM - Rock ‘n’ Roll Johnny and 12AM - Twin Ghost Dog Howl.
The Locals are:
Yvonne Doll: Vocals, Songwriter, Guitar
Christy Nunes: Bass
Tommy Oerding: Drums
Some interesting facts about The Locals:
- The Locals were the subject of years of public resentment from The Matches (formerly The Locals, Oakland California) who had to change their name because of a trademark conflict. They released their first record on Epitaph Records and named it "E.Von Dahl Killed The Locals".
- Yvonne was just featured in Guitar World Magazine as one of the top "10 Female Guitarists You Should Know".
- Yvonne is a photographer best known for her cell phone photo project, "SleepyUrbanite". (sleepyurbanite.com cell photos of people sleeping on the el train in Chicago) The project was featured on The Today Show, NBC News, Chicagoist, TimeOut, VoxPop magazine (France), Newstalk Radio (Ireland)
- Christy Nunes (co-founder, bass player) originally hails from San Diego. Christy began playing professionally at the age of 14. She once shoved a kid during a job as the Chuck E. Cheese mascot when he kept kicking her and pulling her tail.
- When he's not drumming for The Locals, Tommy Oedering makes custom drums at the custom drum shop "Chicago Custom Percussion".