Wizards of Waverly Place Soundtrack CD Review (Disney) ~ BrooklynRocks: NYC Music Blog

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Wizards of Waverly Place Soundtrack CD Review (Disney)

Wizards of Waverly Place Soundtrack CD ReviewWhen I was sent a review copy of the Wizards of Waverly Place soundtrack, both my kids acted like this was the biggest thing in the world (sort of like the Indiana Jones and Star Wars movie were when I was their age). I think I've been in the room when the show has been on but I've never really paid attention to it. Obviously this show is huge with the younger set as it ranked as TV's #1 scripted program among the targeted kid demographics in second quarter 2009.

As this CD is targeted to a tween audience, I asked my tweener to take the first shot at a review:
The Wizards of Waverly Place sound track is an excellent arrangement of music and all the songs are excellent. Selena Gomez really shows off her voice with her three songs that she sings by herself. She really shows off her real side instead of the side you see in the TV show. The other featured artists/bands are Steve Rushton, Honor Society, KSM, Meaghan Martin, Drew Seeley, Raven-Symone and Aly & Aj. The songs flow perfectly together with the theme of the soundtrack - Magic.

The soundtrack has some bonus features if you put the disk in your computer. The special features include an exclusive making of the "Magic" music video. There is footage of Selena Gomez and more. You can visit www.Disneychannel.com and www.disneymusicspot.com for more info and games.


Now from an adult's perspective...

The Wizards of Waverly Place soundtrack is a solid pop CD. The main attraction is obviously Selena Gomez and she has a good voice for this style of music. While some may dismiss this out of hand as being a "Disney CD", Gomez's style of music is no different than what bands/artists like The Graces, Natalie Imbruglia and Paula Abdul were doing twenty years ago. Gomez's three leadoff songs (which include a credible cover of Pilot's "Magic") set the tone for the rest of the disc.

The rest of the disc is a mix of covers (pop-rock interpretations of 70's and 80's tunes) and originals. Some of the covers work very well - Honor Society covers The Car's "Magic" and others are complete bombs - Steve Ruston's cover of ELO's "Strange Magic". I don't think a lot of songs from the 70's lend themselves to pop-rock reinterpretations but KSM do a bouncy, girl-group cover Stepenwolf's "Magic Carpet Ride" that isn't half-bad.

One of the things that many movie, music and toy manufacturers seem to forget is that it is the parent who is doing the purchasing. I'm not going to buy anything that will annoy the living **** out of me when I have to see it/hear it for the 500th time. While this isn't my preferred style of music, I haven't lost my cool or my sanity after a dozen or so plays.

Links:
Wizards of Waverly Place