Religious Knives Live @ The Hook, Brooklyn Oct. 6, 2006 ~ BrooklynRocks: NYC Music Blog

Saturday, October 07, 2006

Religious Knives Live @ The Hook, Brooklyn Oct. 6, 2006

Religious Knives @ The Hook, Brooklyn 10/6/06I had only loosely heard of Religious Knives prior to seeing them open for Wolf Eyes at The Hook in Brooklyn on Saturday. I was really impressed and their very short set left me wanting more. The band has an ambient/drone sound and, over the course of the one piece they played, they built a compelling soundscape. I would compare Religious Knives' sound to the exploratory side of Sonic Youth or Throbbing Gristle.

Religious Knives @ The Hook, Brooklyn 10/6/06I found Reglious Knives' discography online and it is interesting to note that the majority of their recordings are for labels affiliated with or run by Wolf Eyes' members.

Releases:
Hive Mind & Religious Knives (CDr 3") Chondritic Sound 2005
RK3 (2xCassette) Heavy Tapes 2005
Untitled (CDr) Chondritic Sound 2005
Bind Them / Electricity And Air (LP) No Fun Productions 2006
Blackbird / Wax & Flesh (7") Heavy Tapes 2006
In Brooklyn After Dark (Cassette) American Tapes 2006
The Train / I Know You Rider (CDr) Heavy Tapes 2006
Untitled (7") AA Records 2006

I have some additional pictures of the band posted to Flickr and I will get pictures of the other bands that played the show added to this site over the next few days.