Chris Bell (Big Star) - Rhino Releases 2-CD Version of "I Am The Cosmos" on 9/28 ~ BrooklynRocks: NYC Music Blog

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Chris Bell (Big Star) - Rhino Releases 2-CD Version of "I Am The Cosmos" on 9/28

STREAM - Seven Tracks from Chris Bell - "I Am the Cosmos" Re-Issue (Rhino)

Rhino Reissues Chris Bell's 'I Am the Cosmos' as a limited edition 2-CD setFollowing right on the heels of the Big Star box set, Keep An Eye on the Sky, that came out last week, Rhino Handmade is releasing a limited edition 2-CD pressing of Chris Bell's solo disc I Am the Cosmos.

I am the Cosmos has been out of print for a number of years having first come out in 1992 (14 years after Bell's death) on the Rykodisc label. The Rhino re-issue builds on this original release and adds a second disc which contains thirteen previously unissued songs from Chris' pre-Big Star bands, Icewater and Rock City, along with alternate versions from I am the Cosmos sessions and post-Big Star tracks.

Among the wealth of unissued recordings are eight alternate versions and mixes of album tracks, including "You And Your Sister" with Mellotron in place of the original's string arrangement, and a later version of "Get Away" featuring Big Star's Alex Chilton on guitar, Ken Woodley on bass and Richard Rosebrough on drums.

The collection also gathers up a number of unreleased songs Bell recorded that did not appear on I AM THE COSMOS, including two songs by Icewater (a precursor to Big Star); collaborations with Memphis songwriter Keith Sykes ("Stay With Me") and singer Nancy Bryan ("In My Darkest Hour"); and "Clacton Rag," an instrumental recorded in 1976 that features Bell solo on guitar.
The only solo material that was released during Chris' lifetime was a 1978 Car Records single featuring Bell's "I Am The Cosmos" b/w "You And Your Sister." The first 1,000 orders for this new 2-CD set will receive an exclusive reproduction of the original 7”.

Links:
Big Star's MySpace Profile